Thursday, October 22, 2009

MATCHMAKER SERIES, Vol. 5 and 11

This particular MOVIEPARTY had some serious ups and downs. When I originally started to think about the idea of making fake internet romance commercials
I had a vision of silly fake talking head style confessionals, all similar in style and composure, using only my friends. Then It started to build a life of its own.
I thought it would be amazing if I could actually meet people on the internet for the puppets to make the videos with. I created an account on OK cupid, using pictures of the puppets and
very eloquently stating that I was on the website for an art project and hoping to meet people who would want to share internet love experiences in a confessional style video with a puppet
acting as there partner. I wrote to a few people as well. The girls NEVER responded, the boys did until they realized that this was an actual project and not some kinky puppet sex thing.
After the internet flop, i started taking it to the next level. I would actually go out to bars and pick up people to be in the videos, it kinda wokred a little bit. All I'd like to say is, some of those nights were not my finest moments. *




This video has been shown as one piece. It has also been shown as a one channel installation running as a loop next to a false table of 3D glasses. Here are volumes 5 and 11.

00:09:04
mini dv
©2008-09








*The concept of picking up someone in a bar to be in my videos is not such a new thing. For my final project in Mediaworks I decided to make a video response to Laura Mulvey's
"Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema"
(or as I like to call it, Taking back Freud)
Forgive me for paraphrasing, but the essay talkes about the phallocentrism of Hollywood narrative and the lack of female driven plot development, especially those females who were more sexually comodified and objectified (i.e. sex workers.) I decided to protest this theory by going out to bars to pick up drunk dudes to be in my 'mini movies'. I found one guy at the Tube in portland and got him to dress in drag and pretend to be carrie Bradshaw and Snow white.....maybe someday I'll post it but doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment